Weipa Community Rehabilitation and Lifestyle Service is an innovative, evidence-based service for prevention, early intervention, post discharge and long-term follow up for people in Weipa, Napranum and Mapoon, utilising a student-assisted workforce development strategy.
Weipa Community Rehabilitation and Lifestyle Service is run by James Cook University’s Centre of Rural and Remote Health (CRRH), and funded by the Northern Queensland Primary Health Network (NQPHN). The service delivered in collaboration with Local Community and Clinical stakeholders ensures our participants are accessing the most appropriate Health Care in the area.
What we do
- Provide high quality and evidence-based rehab to the people Weipa, Napranum and Mapoon.
- Provide an inter-professional service supported by Senior Clinical Lead Occupational Therapist, Community Rehabilitation Assistant
- Develop the local workforce; and
- Support students through 5, 7 and 10 week clinical placements grounded in inter-professional practice, service learning, neurological rehab and remote practice.
- Variety of open group rehabilitation programs
- Individual programs (based on clients personalised needs)
- In-reach rehab services into Napranum Aged Disabled Service, and Weipa Residential Aged Care
Additional student-led services are available depending on student discipline and availability.
Participants can be referred by their GP, hospital, nurse, allied health professional or self-referral directly using a standard QLD Health referral form directly to TCHHS-WPA-REFERRALS@health.qld.gov.au
Once received we will contact the referrer or participant within 10 working days. If needs are identified with a participant that are best met by another local service provider, we will coordinate an onward referral.
We work with people who are unable to do what they want to do in their life due to age, injury or illness. The predominant reasons we see people are due to:
- Cognitive decline
- Mental illness
- Frail age
- Difficult to engage in traditional medical services.
For more information, please contact our Allied Health Clinical Lead on (07) 4082 3610 or Danielle.firstname.lastname@example.org
Where we are
We are located within Weipa Integrated Health Service.